Go to Bing homepage

excuse

US [ɪkˈskjuz]
UK [ɪkˈskjuːz]
  • n.借口;理由;辩解;(正当的)理由
  • v.原谅;宽恕;为…辩解(或找理由);准许…离开
  • Web藉口;免除
Simple Present:excuses  Present Participle:excusing  Past Tense:excused  
Excuse
Show examples
n.
1.
借口;理由;辩解a reason, either true or invented, that you give to explain or defend your behaviour
Late again! What's your excuse this time?
又迟到了!你这次有什么借口?
There's no excuse for such behaviour.
这种行为说不过去。
His excuse for forgetting her birthday was that he had lost his diary.
他辩解说因为日记本丢了才忘了她的生日。
You don't have to make excuses for her(= try to think of reasons for her behaviour) .
你不必为她辩解了。
It's late. I'm afraid I'll have to make my excuses(= say I'm sorry, give my reasons and leave) .
时间不早了。很抱歉,我得告辞了。
2.
(正当的)理由,借口a good reason that you give for doing sth that you want to do for other reasons
It's just an excuse for a party.
这只是借故一起聚会。
It gave me an excuse to take the car.
这使我有理由开车去。
3.
拙劣样品;蹩脚货a very bad example of sth
Why get involved with that pathetic excuse for a human being?
为什么要与那个讨厌的家伙混在一起?
4.
假条(家长或医生写明请假或给假理由)a note written by a parent or doctor to explain why a student cannot go to school or sb cannot go to work
v.
1.
原谅;宽恕to forgive sb for sth that they have done, for example not being polite or making a small mistake
Please excuse the mess.
这里凌乱不堪,请见谅。
You must excuse my father─he's not always that rude.
你一定要原谅我父亲,他并不总是那样粗暴无礼。
I hope you'll excuse me for being so late.
我来得这么晚,希望你能原谅。
You might be excused for thinking that Ben is in charge(= he is not, but it is an easy mistake to make) .
你误以为是本在负责,这是情有可原的。
Excuse my interrupting you.
对不起,打扰你一下。
2.
~ sth.~ sb/yourself (for sth/for doing sth)
为…辩解(或找理由)to make your or sb else's behaviour seem less offensive by finding reasons for it
Nothing can excuse such rudeness.
如此粗暴无礼不能原谅。
3.
~ sb/yourself (from sth)
准许…离开;请求准予离开;(离开前)请求原谅to allow sb to leave; to say in a polite way that you are leaving
Now if you'll excuse me, I'm a very busy man.
如果可以,我先行一步了。我很忙。
She excused herself and left the meeting early.
她说了声“请原谅”就提前离开了会场。
4.
[usupass]
~ sb (from sth/from doing sth).~ sb sth
同意免除;同意免做to allow sb to not do sth that they should normally do
She was excused from giving evidence because of her age.
因年龄关系她获准不予作证。
IDM
Excuse me, is this the way to the station?
劳驾,这是去车站的路吗?
Excuse me, could you let me through?
对不起,能让我过去吗?
Guy sneezed loudly. ‘Excuse me,’ he said.
盖伊大声打了个喷嚏,然后说了声“对不起”。
Excuse me, but I don't think that's true.
很抱歉,我认为这不是真的。
‘Excuse me for a moment,’ she said and left the room.
她说了声“很抱歉,失陪一会儿”就离开了房间。
Oh, excuse me. I didn't see you there.
啊呀,对不起,我没看到你在那里。
excuse me
(引起尤其是陌生人的注意)劳驾,请原谅used to politely get sb's attention, especially sb you do not know
Excuse me, is this the way to the station?
劳驾,这是去车站的路吗?
(客气地请人让路)对不起,劳驾,借光used to politely ask sb to move so that you can get past them
Excuse me, could you let me through?
对不起,能让我过去吗?
(因打扰别人或失礼表示歉意)对不起,请原谅used to say that you are sorry for interrupting sb or behaving in a slightly rude way
Guy sneezed loudly. ‘Excuse me,’ he said.
盖伊大声打了个喷嚏,然后说了声“对不起”。
(婉转地表示不赞成)对不起,请原谅,很抱歉used to disagree politely with sb
Excuse me, but I don't think that's true.
很抱歉,我认为这不是真的。
(婉转地要求离开或要与另外的人讲话)对不起,请原谅,抱歉used to politely tell sb that you are going to leave or talk to sb else
‘Excuse me for a moment,’ she said and left the room.
她说了声“很抱歉,失陪一会儿”就离开了房间。
(因挤着别人或做错了事表示歉意)对不起,请原谅,很抱歉used to say sorry for pushing sb or doing sth wrong
Oh, excuse me. I didn't see you there.
啊呀,对不起,我没看到你在那里。
(没听清楚,请对方再说一遍)对不起,请再说一遍used when you did not hear what sb said and you want them to repeat it

Sample Sentence

Definition:
Category:AllAll,OralOral,WrittenWritten,TitleTitle,TechnicalTechnical
Source:AllAll,DictionaryDictionary,WebWeb
Difficulty:AllAll,EasyEasy,MiddleMiddle,HardHard
More sentence filters
Hide sentence filters