Go to Bing homepage

owe

US [oʊ]
UK [əʊ]
  • v.归功于;欠(债);欠(账);欠(情)
  • Web把…归功于;欠债;欠钱
Simple Present:owes  Present Participle:owing  Past Tense:owed  
owe
Show examples
v.
1.
欠(债);欠(账)to have to pay sb for sth that you have already received or return money that you have borrowed
She still owes her father £3 000.
她还欠她父亲 3 000 英镑。
I'm still owed three days' leave.
还欠我三天假。
How much do I owe you for the groceries?
买这些杂货我得给你多少钱?
She still owes £3 000 to her father.
她还欠她父亲 3 000 英镑。
The country owes billions of dollars to foreign creditors.
这个国家欠外国债主十亿元。
2.
欠(情)to feel that you ought to do sth for sb or give them sth, especially because they have done sth for you
I owe a debt of gratitude to all my family.
我很感激我的全家人。
You owe it to your staff to be honest with them.
与下属坦诚相待,这是你对他们应有的态度。
You owe me a favour!
你还欠我一个人情!
Thanks for sticking up for me─I owe you one(= I owe you a favour) .
谢谢你支持我,我欠你一个情。
I think you owe us an explanation.
我认为你应当给我们一个解释。
I think we're owed an apology.
我认为得有人向我们道歉。
3.
归因于;归功于;起源于to exist or be successful because of the help or influence of sb/sth
He owes his success to hard work.
他的成功是靠勤奋工作。
The play owes much to French tragedy.
这部戏颇受法国悲剧的影响。
I owe everything to him.
我的一切都归功于他。
I owe him everything.
我的一切都归功于他。
I knew that I owed the surgeon my life.
我明白外科医生救了我的命。
4.
~ allegiance/loyalty/obedience (to sb)
(对位高权重者)忠诚,服从to have to obey or be loyal to sb who is in a position of authority or power

Sample Sentence

Definition:
Category:AllAll,OralOral,WrittenWritten,TitleTitle,TechnicalTechnical
Source:AllAll,DictionaryDictionary,WebWeb
Difficulty:AllAll,EasyEasy,MiddleMiddle,HardHard
More sentence filters
Hide sentence filters